Besides being a great month to have a birthday, August gives me blueberries and peaches and green beans - and so many other delicious goodies! As a child, I did not appreciate these foods like I do today. Maybe I am growing up!
My beans need to do some serious growing so I can get some canned up, too! We worked up our first little bach (4 jars) the other night. Many, many, many more to go if we're to make it through the winter without having to buy store bought!
If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you know I like lists. So guess what I've got today! A big thing these days are 'bucket lists.' I think that term might have come into vogue back when that movie with Morgan Freeman came out. But I think lists like that have been around forever. The other day I heard on the radio some people talking about 10 things every woman should know. And I thought to myself, "hmm, what do I want my girls to know by the time they move out of the house?" If they do. Which I am assuming they will. But a list like this isn't something new either. In my extensive research (reading historical fiction is research right?!) back in the beginning of our country there were certain things a true lady would have to know, like how to pour tea, or how to dance, or how to embroider. And women in the West, they had other 'tasks' they needed to know (shooting and skinning come to mind). But what about in present day? What do gir...
My older two children did a wonderful thing this afternoon. They worked. Hard. For 2 hours without complaint or dissent in the ranks. Without supervision! I was so impressed with them, I promised them ice cream for dessert - I know, I know, what a great mom. They unloaded compost/dirt from the back of the pickup and wheeled it to the backyard, spread it around, and repeated the process. And repeated it. Yesterday I was blessed by some friends with a shared-baby shower. Two other moms are pregnant and due in April also (well, actually there are about 8 other friends I know due in April, but in this case, just the 3 of us are involved here.) We played one game - involving M-n-M's - where we had to answer a question depending on the color of the candy we had in our hand. And we had yummy food. And awesome gifts. I didn't take pictures of all of them, just a few to share. Getting some cute baby girl clothes made it seem even more real. But, we still have a problem. No name. This c...
It's been a few weeks since I updated this space. Harvest has begun. Actually, we're nearing the end in both the garden and the orchard. We started harvesting our hazelnuts mid-September. One of my brothers-in-law came out from Montana to help us, and I am so grateful that he was here. With his help, the operations ran a lot more smoothly. We started the season with some stress ... our sweeper (which is used for the first step, sweeping the nuts into a row) was at the mechanics, the sunny days were running out, and we didn't know when we would have it back. We got the sweeper back, with its repairs complete, and off we went. Because it had been so dry, the dust was flying as the Mr. ran the sweeper across the orchard. And then it was time for the rest of us to get to work. I drove the tractor that pulled the picker; one of our offspring would follow behind making sure everything was running smoothly. My brother-in-law loaded boxes onto our trailer and took it to the pr...
Beautiful! Your green beans are fab, girlfriend!
ReplyDeleteMy beans need to do some serious growing so I can get some canned up, too! We worked up our first little bach (4 jars) the other night. Many, many, many more to go if we're to make it through the winter without having to buy store bought!
Nice job!
Yummy! I love August too.
ReplyDelete