Book review

I am often in search of a good book to read. And it often depends on my mood and what is happening in my world at the time. Occasionally I will pick one up that I think I am not going to like, and then I am pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoy the book. "The Virginian" was a book like that. My friend recommended it to me, and trusting her opinion, I checked it out from the library and read it. Slowly. Savoringly. Imaginatively. It was that kind of book - an old one and a good one.
This past week I was in need of another good read. I don't have a lot of time to read, but I like to ponder a few pages before bedtime. So I grabbed a book by Melody Carlson titled "Finding Alice".
And I could not put it down!
It follows a college-age girl down her path of increasing schizophrenia. The author writes from Alice's viewpoint and gives the reader insight into the mind of someone with this mental disorder. Because I have a relative whom I care a lot about that has been diagnosed with this same disorder, I was fascinated by the parallels between the character and my relative. I kept hoping that the end of the book would give me some answers on how to help this person I know. I even went as far as to email the author! (something I have never done.)
The story also grabbed me because the author set it in Oregon. I always love books set in my home state, mostly because I can really picture the settings as I read.
And I guess I also liked it because it wasn't the typical 'love' story. As much as I enjoy a good romance, it is not a genre I want to read all the time. And this book, "Finding Alice", definitely wasn't one of those.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things

Hard Work

Life is full of Surprises