Adventures

Subtitle: Life in a house full of kids. or Adventures of the young and restless.
The strange weather patterns may be contributing to the loss of common sense in my children.
Earlier in the week my 9-yr old daughter wanted to "be alone". Understandable. I feel that way many times during the day. So she decides to ... climb up on the roof. (???) I might have to try that next time, instead of hiding in the bathroom. Needless to say, her dad and I let her know just how unhappy we were with that choice.
The same afternoon - it was quite a day - my son and his friends decide to play in the garage. I'm still not sure why, since the sun was shining and the ground was dry. I open the door to hear a whirring sound ... and my son grins at me as I ask, "What are you doing?!" Obviously something he shouldn't. His dad's power drill was just too tempting I suppose.
Move ahead to the next day. The sun is still shining. The children are outside playing. A friend drops by for just a minute to pick up something from me. As I step inside the house to get it, we chat for a minute, and then we head back out to the driveway. And the three girls are nowhere in sight. Now, we have a rule for the youngest, that she is not allowed off the upper part of our long driveway. At all. Unless an adult is holding her hand or watching her walk down the long section. And yet, when I look out over the bushes ... she is across the street! Thankfully she was with her older sisters, but yet, she just decided it was OK for her to take the scooter and follow the big girls. You bet we had a "talk" about that!
So, was it curiosity? Was it a lapse in common sense? Was it me not saying it over enough times, "Don't do ...."? Or perhaps it is genetic.
When I was younger I wondered what a clothesline was made of. The loppers I was carrying to cut some brush did a good job on the line. The clothes my mom had hung up earlier didn't fare so well.
But it wasn't just me. My older brothers surely gave my mom gray hairs long before I did! Just one example, one of them wanted to (again, who knows why?!) light a fire. At the neighbors' garage. Thankfully it didn't burn anything down. But it goes back further than that. My dad has some wonderful stories about pitchforks, or knives, being thrown over the fence and landing in the head of the one who had just climbed over.
I don't know about my husband's side of the family. Maybe they have more common sense. I haven't heard any stories about him. Yet. Just some humorous ones. Maybe I will post those next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Saturdays

Waiting