Fall

Dear Mom,

Sorry we haven't been out to see you in a while... we've being taking advantage of the sunny afternoons to play while we can. Let me catch you up on what we've been doing.
I took the home school girls out to Dallas Park for an impromptu picnic and exploration. This park has some of the fun 'vintage' play equipment that the kids love - like swings, merry-go-rounds, and teeter totters! You're never too old for a teeter totter.



 There were plenty of leaves to crunch through too.


We went across the bridge and explored the arboretum that is there. I had never walked through it, but I'm planning to go back in the spring when everything should be blooming. We saw plenty of new plants and trees (thankfully with signs to identify them) and I think it would be pretty to see when they are blooming. The creek was still low, so we went down and threw rocks in it, and saw the tiny fish that are there. Little K even discovered a crawdad (although she called it a crab.)

Later in the week some friends went with us to the local pumpkin patch. Little K had a terrific time. M. enjoyed it, and I had to near-promise her that we would go to a place that had more big kid activities. They both really liked the pumpkin donuts and apple cider!



We got a bike ride/run in this week. We went to the park and the girls rode their bikes while I ran. Win-win! I'm working on making sure they get some exercise each day. A challenge in homeschool is that we don't have a PE class, and we have to schedule that in. That's another reason I am loving this time of year - the sun is still out, but not too hot, and we can get outside and move around.


We also got in an afternoon at the children's museum in town - I finally bought a membership, so we can go there a lot more.

Last weekend we hosted two Japanese students who were over in Oregon for a week. We only had them with us from Friday night until Monday morning, but it was a great time. Our girls asked if we could do it again next year. We took them to the high school football game - a first; to the shopping outlet mall - their choice; to church - probably a first; to my dad's 85th birthday party (they were wide-eyed when I showed them the picture of me and my 9 siblings!) They were very sweet girls, very interesting to talk to about differences in our lives and theirs. One girl's remark was that the difference in eating made quite an impression on her. I'm not sure if she meant the food or the manner in which we ate!


The Boy has now finished two weeks of college. I'm so thankful that he chose to stay home and go to a local community college this year. We've been able to talk about school and life just like we did in the past. He has also started a new job at the local grocery store. It's stretching him a bit, but I'm excited about that challenge for him. I know he can do it.

Cross country season is close to an end! It has gone by fast for me; it feels like we have not had as many meets as in the past, but that could just be my impression. Both my high school girls are running this year, and doing well, even though one has not embraced the fact that she is a runner and could be a really good one if she wanted to. We've been fortunate to have good weather for all the meets so far. Only two more meets and then it's Districts ... the big one.
We'll be heading out to the farm soon, to pick some pumpkins. And then I suppose the rain will start and we'll find indoor activities to motivate the kids to finish their school work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend