This Christmas

Someone asked me the other day, "So what did you get for Christmas?"
And I just went blank.
I couldn't think of anything my kids had gotten for me. I could come up with some of the fun stuff the kids got (ukulele, Lego's, art stuff, food,) but not my own. I know it was a most relaxing holiday, but I didn't realize how relaxing! I mentioned that to The Mr more than once.
 

I really enjoyed this holiday season this year. I saved a little bit every month setting it aside for Christmas costs. I had my gifts bought and ready a week before Christmas, and the yearly letter . . Well it only took four drafts but I managed to get that out too, mostly. I think because I had a different focus this year, I had a better time. Instead of worrying bat how many gifts I would get the kids, and how the gifts would be perceived by their friends, I planned two gifts per child, one was something they wanted, one was something I thought they needed. And the stockings were just stuffed with snacks! Because these children don't seem to stop eating!

This Christmas seemed a little unusual for us. Not much went the way we thought it would. I'm hearing that same story from a number of people actually. Something to do with sickness. But that wasn't the full story for our house.
Because of when Christmas day was this year - Monday - it meant we went to Christmas Eve candlelight service on the morning of Christmas Eve ... That's just how it happened to be at our church. So knowing my in-laws were coming down for Christmas Day we decided to open the presents under the tree that the 7 of us got each other. I didn't think my in-laws would appreciate the chaos as much. After our traditional chili and rice supper, (in which I forgot to make the rice, and so we had to postpone supper another half hour to get that done) we ate we took the obligatory in front of the tree pictures and then the fun began. Most of the kids are old enough and had enough experience with this process that they know to be patient, watch what others are opening, and enjoy the process of gifting and receiving. The 7 year old ... well she has some more lessons to learn. She was all into wrapping and giving, but sure was focused on the getting that evening. We had a fun time though, and I reveled in the moments -- knowing that someday in the future we might not all be together at the same time on holidays. The kids got to bed pretty late, which means The Mr and I got to bed even later, after we stuffed the stockings.
Christmas morning came, and I woke up sometime after 8, and no one else was awake. I made a special treat for breakfast (French Breakfast Puffs) and still no one. Finally one or two kids came into the kitchen, we woke up the others, and they all opened their stockings at the same time. A late breakfast was interrupted by The Phone Call. The in-laws were ill and would not be coming. So we finished opening the gifts we had left and we realigned our plans. We decided to crash the party at my aunt's house. We got there in time for dessert (good timing!) and games. Fun times! We played Scattergories with the relatives and then later a computer/cell phone game called Jackbox QuipLash. It was a blast.

Oh, and the answer came to me eventually: A candle; a tank of gas (An awesome gift from a teen driver); a toaster (yep, I asked for a new one) a gift card ($ to spend on myself?!), and running socks (because you can never have too many of those)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend