In the Orchard


It's a new year, so I am going to try and start some new practices. One of which is blogging about our orchard each week. This week in the orchard we are pruning the hazelnut trees. We started back in December and we're now more than halfway through our older orchard of 4000 trees. 
Why prune? Well, the lower branches hit the tractor and the farmer, causing potential damage to each one. (And no one wants a damaged farmer around here.) As we prune the lower branches and those that hang out the wrong way we are training the tree to grow upwards. Pruning the branches pushes the energy for growth to the upward limbs. 
It's not hard work, but it takes a long time right now. The day will come, so I'm told, when we won't be pruning much at all. And mostly doing it with pole saws or chain saws. Right now it's loppers and hand clippers. 

In the beginning of pruning season my hand and arm were so sore after a long day of snipping. But now, a month into it, I don't ache quite so much. I usually put on a podcast to listen to as I snip the hours away (if no one is out there with me). Currently I'm working my way through Mike Rowe's The Way I Heard It and my friend Pam's "The Mom Next Door." Two completely different genres, but it just depends on which mood I'm in. Both sure help the time go by.
When my daughters are out helping, we play games and listen to their music. One of their go-to games is one I call Weird Wedding. They come up with the worst wedding scenario for their sister (the one who is out there with them). From the ugliest dress to the worst food imaginable, they let their imaginations run wild and keep us entertained as we prune.
Just a few more days of clipping and then we will move on to the next task.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Saturdays

Waiting