The Holiday weekend

Dear Grandma,

 I wish I knew what you thought of your great-granddaughter's wedding this summer. We sure had fun! But let me back up.
September has come roaring in with all its 'back-to-school' glory. Our girls went to the first football game on Sept 1st. I was just so tired to go with them. We had been gone all day, first at the farm picking the produce, and then selling all afternoon. It felt good for me to just sit and read a book.
I've gotten hooked on some more novels by L.M. Montgomery; you know, the one who wrote Anne of Green Gables. This one is called Pat of Silver Bush. I can't believe I have never read them before, not with the way I haunted the library as a child waiting for the next book to be turned in so I could read it. I re-read Anne of Green Gables just about every year. This July in preparation for our road trip, we went to the bookstore where I discovered a bunch of books by this beloved author. So I've been slowly buying them and binge reading all summer. I paused once or twice to read a biography - Bob Hope's was one of them - and I've just now finished Mistress Pat. The only problem is that the language and flow of the words starts to infiltrate my thinking and speaking, and my kids look at me kind of strangely in the hours following my reading. Of course, having The Mr gone to Montana last weekend helps my reading. I stay up way to late for "just one more page."
Somehow the girls were up on time the following Saturday morning to make the 6:30 am bus for their cross country meet. I was a bit groggy from reading into the night, so I climbed back into bed! But I made it up in time to get the younger girls together and head for the coast - the meet was in Tillamook, a lovely but long drive from here!
Thankfully we didn't hit any traffic going when we did, and it was such a hot day too. After we had some Tillamook ice cream and gathered the girls we drove back inland to my brother's house where we got cleaned up. Then we were off to the party!

The wedding was way over in Gresham which meant a nice drive through Portland (remember the one place I really don't like driving?!) But, oh, it was worth it. Didn't the bride just glow? She radiated joy, and her sister looked so beautiful and elegant.

We all had such fun visiting with family we don't see very often, the in-staters and the out-of-staters; and the cake was delicious. There was a photo booth there, and the picture we had taken went into the guest book we signed; I thought that was a pretty clever idea. My little girls really had fun with that one. The only drawback was the dancing ... it was not fun dancing without my husband. He was in Montana for his niece's wedding at the exact same time. And he said the same thing when we talked on the phone later.

Thankfully on Sunday we could all just rest and recover. Well, except for the little excursion south to get peaches. But my sister drove, so that was actually fun because I didn't want to drive anymore that weekend. My husband was also driving on Sunday. He left Montana after church and drove 14 hours, to get home to us.


And now we're back to school. The older girls are off to High School. The Boy will start college in a couple of weeks. Where did my babies go? And the homeschool crew - well we took a field trip to the local children's museum on day one, and then a bike ride today. I think we'll start looking at book work next week, for now we are enjoying the perks of being homeschooled while most other kids are back in the school buildings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend