Game day

Saturday was the Big Day. Our Upward basketball players had their first games of the season. It was So. Much. Fun!

Little K is on the 1st-2nd grade team, and we can see the difference already between last year and this year. Her dribbling skills have improved; she can actually get the ball up to the basket and even sometimes into the basket; and she seems to understand the difference between offense and defense this year. Like all my other kids, her defense is definitely a strong point. My kids seem to know how to stay on their player and make them uncomfortable. Which is the only time I can encourage this.
Beyond that though, she loves to practice; she loves her team; she loves her coaches; and I think, she loves the game of basketball. She hasn't diagrammed any plays on the white board for us at home, yet, but we are just beginning.
Her older sister has come out of retirement and re-entered the basketball arena after a hiatus of a few years. It took her a few practices to get the rust off, but she has seen enough games of her older siblings' that it all came back quickly. Oh, there is plenty to work on, sure, but she can hold her own out there. Now that she is on the sixth grade team, she plays full court, and the exercise is so good for her! After the first practice she moaned all the next day about how her legs hurt. I was only slightly sympathetic, much more pleased with the result and upcoming exercise instead. The game this weekend was a good one. Being just the first they come on the court with some things not known. Traveling, how to inbound pass correctly, how to play as a team, timing and rules ... they are learning all these things just as they are learning to be better teammates and players. I love how this league builds up each kid, not just in their court skills but also their interpersonal skills.
And I love basketball ... So since my son is done, and the older girls don't play ... I can still get my fix watching my two younger ones play, and play with smiles on their faces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend