Run Again

Just under a year ago, I ran a marathon. My first, and possibly my only marathon. After that experience I took a long time off from running. Just about a year actually. Oh, I ran sporadically, thinking I would get back to it. But this past year has been full of other people's activities, and a rolling tide of health issues.
I've been taking iron supplements for a week now, and it is so wonderful to make it through the day without taking a nap!
Last Friday the Mr and I drove down to the Boy's State Track Meet. We were running late, we didn't really know the area, but thankfully we were able to find parking sort of nearby. So we ran - because we had about 10 minutes to get to the gate, buy tickets and get inside to see the Boy run the first of this two races. By the time we sat down I was breathing hard, and a little shaky because I hadn't eaten for hours, but we made. And I made it - running. It was the catalyst for this morning's run. 
So I ran a mile today. A whole mile! Without stopping or feeling like I was going to die. It's an incredible feeling to know that I can actually do this. I can run again. Since the Mr has his mileage up to 13 miles - he ran a half marathon last weekend - I asked him to help me out today. Mental support is just as important as the shoes I wear. I took a long warm-up walk, and then started running my mile. He caught me at the end of his workout and (mentally) carried me to the end.
Oh what a feeling.

Comments

  1. Katie once told me that running pounds on your heals and you lose iron in that area. I'm glad you are feeling better after taking iron supplements. i think that marathon did some crazy things to yours and Katie's bodies. yours more so because of your age. i just don't see how some of these people can do 2 or more in a year or so many total.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend