Thanks Coach

My kids often played school with their siblings, friends, and/or cousins when they were younger. I did it when I was a kid too. But I never wanted to be a Teacher. (Yes, there is irony in me homeschooling my children.) As I've gotten older and experienced the world. I've come to appreciate teachers much, much more. I spend maybe an hour or two twice a month teaching kids in Sunday school. I can't imagine doing that day after day during the school year.
I've also had a large number of coaches in my life. 4 years of high school track and then cross country,  4 years of basketball and two more in college, along with the dozens of coaches my kids have gone through .... brings me to really appreciate the patience and knowledge passed on from these coaches to me and to my children.
But this past week I have had a new experience in the teaching realm. I got to coach Long Jump for our track and field group at the church Skills Camp. It was ... wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed the kids, the coaching, the explaining, the competing. Even though we've had some pretty hot temperatures here this week , in the 90s, I still had a great time! 
Watching the kids, ages 6-12, learn the mechanics of long jump (there's so much more to it than run and jump) and then put it all together over the course of five days ... it was thrilling to see them excel. And for the most part all of the kids were excited to be there; they loved jumping, and always asked for more, even when time was up. 
So maybe I won't ever be one of those saints who teach a classful of  students how to read write or do math, but I could get into this coach gig.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend