History

My uncle died last year, and as what comes with death, the cleaning of house commences. My aunt and cousins are going through things, downsizing, cleaning, parceling out family items. My parents received a box of items from my dad's side of the family.
I have numerous pictures and such of the family history that I have been trying to organize for years now, so my mom passed on the box to me.
And what a treasure! I spent some time this afternoon looking at letters from my great-great uncle to my grandmother, letters written in 1921 on paper from that year. Names that I didn't recognize mingle with names I have heard of. Letters from Germany were in there, notes from family written in 1948. I took German in high school and college, but I could only make out a few words. The handwriting is exquisite in the German letters, so beautiful.
There were a few photos of unknown to me people. It made me want to dive into my family history boxes and sort more. History has always been a favorite of mine, but even more so with family information.
It just so happens that I checked out a book last week, before visiting my parents, titled "the Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw.
I know I had uncles and aunts in the WWII, and my grandfather in the WWI, but I am sure I have missed some history  there are holes in my information I need to fill.
And then I also want to collect some information of my husbands family history. It's important for my kids to know where they come from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend