Playing House, but not really.

When you were young, did you ever play 'House'? You know, the pretend time where someone is the mom, someone is the dad, maybe there is a baby or a little kid played by someone else. You use your imagination to play what, for most us, becomes reality someday.
I can vividly recall playing house when I was little and my brother would be ... no, not the dad; not the son, not the boy next door ... no, he would be ... the dog. Yep, my brother would play with me, but he would be the dog. 'Splains a lot, my husband says. Odd, but not the strangest thing ever.
Well, the other day my girls were playing house. Usually they play as 3 sisters. No surprise there. Usually they play that they don't know who their mother is. Hmmm... don't want to dwell on that one too long. And usually they play that they don't have other siblings ... namely one brother.
But yesterday, they came up with a new way to play House. Once again they were playing as all sisters, except this time they did not know they were sisters. (Once again, no mom or brother involved. At least that's consistent. And for some reason, Dad doesn't come into the storyline.) And to add a new twist into this story, the older girl and younger girl are poor and homeless! The middle sister is rich and totally unaware that she is related to the two of the sisters sitting at the 'side of the road.' I did overhear her kind offerings of food and blankets, but I missed the rest of the story.
the sign they used while playing
Their storyline was quite involved as they were relating it to me, and I had to work hard to follow it. I am so impressed by their imaginations. But ... well ...  playtime often imitates reality. And I'm really hoping that isn't the case here!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Saturdays

Waiting