New Friends

I met a lady recently whom I have come to admire. I don't know her well yet, but what I do know I like. Let me tell you how it happened.
 Our older kids go to school with her kids, so I have seen her around but had never talked to her. Then she and her family showed up at our church. So I went over to talk with her. As we exchanged who are you's, I mentioned that we homeschool, and she said, "Oh, I'm jealous!"
What? Shake my brain, rattle it around, did I hear you right?
I have never had that response to my homeschooling admission. Usually I hear things like, "I could never do that" or perhaps an inference to my state of mind and sanity. To actually have someone jealous of what I was doing ... I knew right then I liked this lady.
But it gets better.
We continued our conversation, and got around to the fact that I have 5 children. And she once again got me. She said something to the effect of how wonderful that is.
People, that is not the normal response I get. It's usually more along the lines of  "Do you know what causes that?" Or, "You sure have your hands full!" (and yes, I do, to both comments. My little secret is that I wish I had more kids.) The stares, the people visibly counting us as we go by ... it isn't new to me. I grew up the youngest of ten, so yeah, I have heard a number of comments. But this woman said something unlike all of that. She thought 5 children would be wonderful. She has 3 children, so she knows what it takes to be a mom, and she holds a job besides that.
I'm looking forward to getting to know her more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend