Challenges

Everyone needs challenges in her in life. It keeps us going, it gives us a way to measure our self and our success. This past week I had some challenges in running.
I took my son with me on my midweek run - he on his bicycle, me on my feet. It was my midweek 3 miler. I have an out and back route I like to take, and I have a pretty good sense of my pace on the hills and flats. But this time when we got to the turn-around spot, the Boy says, "Let's go that way," and points to a hill that goes up, Up, UP, and which will eventually loop around to our house. I sighed and plunged onward, up the hill. Thankfully there were downhills to go with it.
And it wasn't that bad! It was a good challenge. One I would have never pushed myself to make if I was running alone.
Today I set out on a different route - I thought I would go on my 4 mile loop, and push my pace. Instead as I came up to the intersection to go to my house, I continued on straight, passing the turn, pushing myself further, to eventually end up at 6 miles.
And I am so glad I did! Even though my legs were wobbly by the end, it felt good to push my body out of its comfort zone; and I was able to keep a good pace, which buoyed my confidence also.
Other challenges I face as I run: Waving. Do I wave at the other runner coming towards me? Do we make eye contact? How many fingers? Or a whole hand wave? What about bicyclists? Just the 'serious' ones, or the ones who look like they are biking to work, not just out for exercise?
Cars - cars coming out of driveways can be a challenge. Do I go in back, in front? Do I stop and wait? Do I expect them to wait for me?
Crosswalks - it's a challenge to cross quickly before the dump truck turns, but it is also a great motivator to pick up the pace! And hitting the little button to change to the "walk" signal- do i really need to do that at 6.30 am when no cars are there?
Hills - where I live there are hills, loads of them. Which way should I go to get the best run? Do I jog or walk up the hill? Can I keep the route to just one hill? (not usually!)
My Mind - usually there aren't too many challenging things going on here. I think about random thoughts, I pray, I think about what to have to eat and when to invite people over. I imagine parties I never give.
And then there is the weather... and clothes.. and getting myself out the door sometimes...
Challenges - enough to keep me running for a long time yet.

Comments

  1. Don't just wave (whole hand is friendlier), say hello and give them an encouraging word!! :) ie: go get 'em!, or you can do it!, or lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend