Good Grief

Being in the hospital gives a person plenty of time to think. As I was in pain, my thoughts tended to veer towards theories of pain management. It ties in with grief in my mind.
Our pastor had a sermon recently, as he is preaching through the book of Esther, about grief; how our culture does not want us to display our own grief. We don't cry in public, it's "good" to buck up and take it. OK , so those were not his words, but rather the idea I got from his sermon. Pastor tied it into Mordecai putting on ashes and sackcloth, while Esther said "Hey, stop it!"
So, the basic idea - don't allow your grief to interfere with the fun of life going on around you.
So that leads me into my pain management theorizing.
I was in the hospital bed, feeling contractions getting stronger each time (ouch!) and waiting for the epidural to be brought in. Thankfully my body doesn't reject that type of pain management. However, for whatever reason, my body does reject other types of 'relief' such as Tylenol, ibuprofen, NSAIDs, etc. And each time I had to reiterate this 'allergy' to a nurse I received a very sympathetic response. Thankfully God has also given me a higher pain tolerance I think. I was able to recover from having the baby without any other drugs, using ice pads and heating pads.
What's my point? Well, it ties in with grief. Our society doesn't want to feel pain. We don't want to deal with it at all, and yet, there are so many people in pain, in many different forms of pain - physical as well as mental and spiritual. Pain isn't a bad thing. yes, it hurts, but it can also make us stronger.
Just some musings for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend