Happy St. Patrick's day

We all wore green today.
And that was the extent of our St. Patrick's day 'celebration'. Although I had planned on a green dinner - split pea soup. Except I read the recipe wrong, and it needed to cook in the slow cooker for 6 hours, not 3 hours. Somehow I missed the instruction that said, cook for 3 hours, do this little thing, and then cook for 3 MORE hours. So I will throw together some rice and meat in a casserole instead. My little Irish-blooded babies won't mind! (I don't think split pea is their favorite.)
My daughter did ask why the pinching was a tradition. I couldn't tell her the answer! But we did talk about the reason behind this day, and the man whom it honors - something that seems to get lost in the mainstream conversations.
Did you know St. Patrick wasn't really Irish!?
     "When he was about 16 years old, he was captured from Britain and taken as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After entering the Church, he returned to Ireland as an ordained bishop in the north and west of the island," (source:Wikipedia)
Interesting how time and tradition can really change a story! From preaching the gospel of Christ to drinking beer and pinching people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend