E.R. episode 5

The kids and I went to the Seattle area at the end of last week (more on that at a different post) and we made it home Saturday afternoon, just in time for some more excitement.
The bags were unpacked, the chili was in the crockpot for supper, the cookies were nearly done being baked. G was working on 4 different areas in the house - kitchen countertops, bathroom walls, bedroom wall, and playroom trim. Things were moving along just swell.
Then I heard a yell, and a crash, and some other words from the garage, and I went running. Blood spurting from his hand, G is howling in pain, so I holler at the kids to get in the car, NOW, and we turned off all the lights, etc. and rushed to the ER.
The nurses and doctors there were so great. They got him in right away and stemmed the flow of the gusher; but it wasn't for another 5 hours until they got him into surgery. I am also so thankful that we have relatives and friends nearby that I can call on. The kids were whisked off to my sister in law's home, where they were spoiled with movies and McDonald's.
So what did he do? Cut his thumb and finger with a router bit, failing to unplug it before changing the bit. The knuckle bone was exposed; and we won't know for awhile, but some of the nerves in the index finger might be damaged. We are so thankful that it wasn't worse, the digits are still attached and he has full feeling in his thumb. I am also very thankful that we were home from our trip when this happened.

Comments

  1. YOUCH! I cringe just reading about it. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be cut out for motherhood. Too much "yuck" stuff that I'm sure I'm not prepared for!

    I'm thankful it wasn't worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with JLI...I was cringing just reading this. I am glad you were home to help him and that you could stomach the blood. :) When I was a teen my mom dropped a rock on her finger and pulled her fingernail off and I when she came running for help I went and locked myself in the bathroom so I did not have to see it. :) I hope I would be a little more helpful now...but I am not sure. :) Glad is is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it wasn't worse, and that you got home just in time! I hope there's no nerve damage. My 15 year old nephew did something similar last summer (also needing a trip to the ER, but thankfully not the OR!). We all lectured him over and over about how he should know better than to try to change the bit without disconnecting the power first. He says he definitely learned his lesson... I'm guessing G will likely be saying the same thing.=) praying for COMPLETE recovery for ya, G!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend