Resurrection Sunday

I know, a few days past Easter, but here we are. And no the 4 kids are not the same height; Dad put them on a step so they were even.
So that morning, we hid a special (plastic) egg for each child that held a clue inside of it. They then had to figure out from the clue where their special basket was hidden. This took a little time, but we finished and made it to church before the service started! I wasn't so sure we would since I could not find a thing to wear. Why is it that we women, in our family at least, feel like we should have a new pretty dress on Easter? I'm guessing it starts in childhood - because I made sure the girls had a pretty dress, new-to-them, to wear. (We're all about hand-me-downs in this family!)
Church was wonderful, what I heard in between taking small children of mine to the bathroom.
We spent the afternoon with my parents and family, finally getting to meet my first great-nephew. He is now 6 months old and as cute as ever.It's just one more thing I love about being in a big family - the co-mingling of the generations. My kids are the same age as the next generation. I am nearly the same age as the oldest of my nieces. (Ok, well I like to think that at least.) I was 10 when she was born. And my aunt was born after my oldest brother.
Anyway, the afternoon - the younger girls and cousin had hours of entertainment with each other hiding the eggs all over their grandparents' living room. Over and over and over. We had to do it inside since it was raining, again.
On Monday we sorted through all the candy that was acquired over the holiday weekend. And it filled our snack cupboard. So the kids are under orders to say a very polite "No thank you" when offered candy at church, in Awana, wherever. We have plenty thankyouverymuch. Plus, my weight gain does not need the extra temptation laying around. The doctor didn't say anything about it when I went in yesterday, but I know I need to cut back on the sweets.
We are on the weekly checkups now for baby. All looks good and according to schedule, says the doc. 20 days. We'll see about that.

Comments

  1. Jules, I always had a pretty new outfit for Easter too - a dress, a purse and new patent leather white shoes. There was an Easter basket to go searching for, always full of sweets and one bunny with big ears to chomp off. Sunrise service was usually the one we attended. But as I look back, there was something missing, and that was a good hard look into the true meaning of Easter.

    Now that I am older and have a relationship with Jesus, I understand what it really represents and all of the fanfare of the world-version of Easter has all but fallen away from my mind. We went to church on Easter, my husband's baptism day, in nice denim and simple tops.

    I guess there's a part of me that fears continuing that tradition with my own children someday where the true meaning of Easter gets lost on them too. I'm really not sure how I will handle that (or if I'll ever get the chance to find out, seeing as we don't have children yet!).

    Your post causes me to stop and think. I applaud the families who strike the balance of celebrating outwardly in traditional fashion while putting greater emphasis on the Biblical purpose of the special days we celebrate during the year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend