3 for 3

In the past 3 years 3 of us in this family have been to the Emergency Room. In June.
First in was my son, for a deep cut to his shoulder. Thankfully it did not require stitches.
Next up was myself for a scary attack of hives, which grew into a full blown case of chronic hives. And then the lil' Chef (3rd born) had a nasty cut to her lip and required stitches.
But wait - there's more.
Last night after the beautiful storm we had here, my son's hay fever went up a notch or three. We have been treating his asthma throughout the week, but at this point nothing was helping. His chest hurt and he couldn't draw a deep breath. My motherly intuition kicked in and I called the nurses line. After discussing the finer points of asthma, the nurse said, "Take him to the emergency room." Hello?! That shook me up. I had to repeat it to her. And now my son and The Farmer's attention were tuned in.
After a brief debate with The Farmer, he put on his shoes and drove the boy to the hospital. And the ER was packed with people who had the same symptoms and problems. The weird weather out here had kicked up all kinds of pollens and icky things to inflame the lungs of those who had hay fever.
I am so grateful for doctors and medicine that can help us ease our symptoms and help us breathe. Last night as I waited for an update on our boy, I kept thinking about the breathe of Life - the life we live day to day and the life we have forever. It helped calm my fears a wee bit, and then when The Farmer called on their way home, I knew my prayers were answered and my praise went up to the One who gives us life.
After all this, I concluded we need to be near a hospital every June.

Comments

  1. Oh I feel your pain! Only, my son is a severe asthmatic - and between September 2008 and January 2009 he was in the ER for asthma 10 times.

    UGH!

    Every time - every year - my heart breathes this little prayer, "Father... I know he's yours... but, please..." Is there anything else like a Mom's heart? Yep. The Father's heart! I know - Dad's have deep feelings, too - they're just blessed to have fewer crazy hormones in the way! :)

    So glad he's doing well and was home in a reasonable amount of time. We had a similar experience, too - only, PTL, he's been in great control recently since some med changes - and no visit to the ER! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a crazy day. lots of bad breathing going on at my house too. i am sorry to hear that the oldest had to go into the er!!! hopefully he is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend