I have an admission to make. Not a confession, because this is a good thing, and no shame here.
I like ironing. I Like it. I LIKE it.
(I still remember ironing for my brother when I stayed with his family one summer. It was that wonderful.)
So this weekend I ironed the pile of clothes that had built up over the past week. I turned on the radio and went to town.
I find ironing relaxing. And it gives me a great time to just think.
For some people, the shower is The Place to come up with ideas. For me, ironing is when I get some good thoughts.
A song came on the radio - Small Town USA - by Justin Moore. I started thinking of growing up in a small town in southern Oregon. At the time I wanted out (like he sings in the song) but now I look back with fondness. I had a great home, land to run around on, mud pies to make, cow pies (dried!) to throw, mud to squish in between my toes. Of course, there was a lot of work to be done, but I remember getting dirty. And I began to think of my own children. Do they get dirty? Do they get time and place to play in the dirt? Do we have them in to much scheduled stuff? As a parent, I am focused most of the time, on getting the next chore done, finishing the school for the day, getting the next meal prepared, washing the clothes (all things that need to be done on a continuous basis.) So I think sometimes I lose sight of the kids as kids, not mini-adults. Sometimes I need to let them run a little wild. So after talking these thoughts through with my husband, maybe I will be taking more field trips this year. Maybe I will be scheduling in more unscheduled time. I've been doing it for myself lately, so now I might just pass it on to the children.
And all that from ironing.

Comments

  1. If you need to think on anything else, I have a few items that can help you relax and make some decisions ;).
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back memories of my own childhood, especially the part about mud pies. :) It's so true about having busy schedules that are so bogged down that kids have less time to be kids, at least in the way we did. I spent a lot of time outside, digging intricate tunnel systems for Matchbox cars (I played with my brother), making foxholes in the woods so we could play "war", "cooking" lots of meals with mud and weeds (made great "spices"), Hide & Go Seek, Flashlight Tag, climbing trees, riding my bike and playing "Bus Driver".

    Kids today wouldn't even know how to play like we did when we were their age! Instead, they have PS3's, computers, electric scooters, dance class, football, soccer, baseball and practices 6 days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can iron for me any day :)
    ~Mary G

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend