Substitute

I am the queen of substitution. And whenever I mention how I made a recipe my husband usually whips this little poem out:

"I didn't have potatoes, so I substituted rice.
I didn't have paprika, so I used another spice.
I didn't have tomato sauce, so I used tomato paste,
A whole can, not a half, I don't believe in waste.
A friend gave me the recipe, she said you couldn't beat it.
There must have been something wrong with her,
I couldn't even eat it!" -- author unknown

Today I made breakfast again for lunch. The recipe, breakfast pizza, calls for bran cereal to be sprinkled on top. I don't have bran cereal. (Rarely do I have it.) So I crushed up some other cereal, sprinkled some oatmeal on top also; and it worked!
Admittedly, some of my substitutions have not worked. I like to throw leftovers together and make soup; so the one time I had spaghetti leftovers ... well let's just say the mention of spaghetti soup brings a grin and a grimace to my face.
And I like to play with spices; I seem partial to oregano because of its strong flavor. Sometimes I put too much on, like the time I made rosemary roasted red potatoes. The kids weren't too crazy about all the little "needles" on their food.
But cooking is an adventure right? I'm sure Julia Childs might have said that. Well, my cooking is an adventure anyway.

Here's the recipe for Breakfast pizza:
2 cups Bisquick,
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups milk
Mix together well, pour into greased jelly roll pan (I use a cookie sheet)
To the top sprinkle on crushed bran cereal (or oatmeal or other cereal. Feel free to add raisins or dried apple bits also. )
Then sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on next.
Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
Now the fun part! Everyone gets to choose which toppings to put on their own slice. Suggestions: yogurt, applesauce, mini chocolate chips, coconut flakes, banana slices, syrup, jam .... Those are a few that we use regularly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend