Happy 150th

Oregon celebrates 150 years of being a state this year. All kinds of events took place during the summer in remembrance for this. But this weekend - our church is celebrating 150 years of being a church! We have been part of the church for 10 years now, and I thought that was a long time. But learning about the history some of these families have in this church, I felt like a newcomer!
Today the girls and I went down to partake in the fun. ((G and the boy went to a basketball game!)) We walked around and looked at the various exhibits. The room full of wedding dresses from the past was probably my favorite. Especially when I got to see the pictures of the ladies on their wedding days - ladies I know and admire. The oldest dress there - I think - was one from 1924! My 2 youngest, M and M, did not appreciate the dresses quite as much as they did the wedding cake we got to eat and the mints that were also there.
The girls also had the opportunity to make some crafts and hear some history, and learn a new story. The storyteller read the fable Rumpelstiltskin, and none of my kids had heard of it! I guess I missed that one in all our library checkouts. We made a Jacob's Ladder out of wood blocks; and a whirligig, aka a button on a string. They thoroughly enjoyed playing with their 'new' toys. I can still recall playing with a Jacob's Ladder when I was little too. And then there was the game room, where kids could play games from the past ... I think this is what it was! My oldest, SG, played 4-square. Wow! I still remember playing that out on the playground nearly every day in grade school. Do kids still do this? Being homeschoolers, I really don't know what games are played at recess anymore.
It has been a fun weekend seeing all the old documents and photos and memorabilia. And it is a wonderful feeling to be part of such a church family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend