Wonders of Wednesday

Just a little of my random thoughts today:
It's Veterans Day. Now, I haven't looked this up yet, but is it for all military personnel, or just ones who have served in the past, or just professional ones serving now?
Our family on both sides has a diverse amount of relatives who have served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Merchant Marines, National Guard, (and my friend in the Coast Guard). Back in college, G. entered ROTC for the Army ... I think... it has been so long ago I can't remember! But for various reasons he didn't continue on. Selfishly I am glad he didn't! But I am so proud of my uncles who served, my dad and father in-law, and today, my nephew who is still in there. For some reason I always get choked up when we play the national anthem in church, and ask those who served to stand and be recognized; gets me every time.

The kids are playing in the boxes today. Although most school children had the day off, mine had to do schoolwork this morning. So this afternoon they are playing at full force. We have plenty of empty cardboard boxes around, waiting to be filled with our goods; but until then they make great dams, and walls, and forts. And then they drag out the stuffed animals to help. The names they give to their buddies makes me laugh. There is one that my 4 yr old has - she has named it Big Fat. As in Big Fat Bunny. Because that's what it is to her. And her emergency bunny - it is now named 'Merge'.
When she was firstborn she had one bunny she relied on to go with her thumb. Then her older sister would hide it - prompting a frantic hunt before we left the house. So we bought another one as backup. Then for her birthday one year we found a larger bunny to play, "You are my sunshine" which came with another bunny, and this became the emergency bunny, for the times we couldn't find either of the other ones. So now she carries around two "buns" as she calls them, and "merge". (It reminds me of Merv Griffin every time she says it too.)

So what's with Christmas starting early this year? Jingle Bells being played in the stores already? Christmas decor and gifts being advertised and sold already? Let's just skip over Thanksgiving - a holiday about thinking of others and being thankful - and go straight for the greedy, buy, buy, buy holiday, shall we? ugh.

I painted the trim in the hallway today. I am so ready to pick up that blue painters tape off the floor. But it looks like it will need another coat. The previous owners sure had a thing for gray paint. Gray walls, gray trim, gray closets, gray doors. It's a sad reflection that it has taken me 10 years to paint over all the gray! Give me some color!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend