Thinking of


Last night G. and I watched the movie, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. It has stuck with me, all night and into today. I woke up at night thinking about it. I am sure I will be thinking about it the rest of the week. It is a movie I think every adult should see and share with their children at some point.
It is a movie about a family, a Nazi family, during the Holocaust. The father is high up in command; the mother is concerned about her position in society; the children are, in the beginning, quite innocent. The twists and turns it takes are not expected.
I kept trying to justify different scenes in my dreams. I tried to explain away certain behaviors. I looked inside myself at my own prejudices I hold. I might say I don't have them, but I do. I kept thinking, it's not Bruno's fault - he shouldn't have been in there. (If or when you see the movie, you will understand that better.) But then I had to remind myself, none of the Jews were at fault. All of the Jews were innocent of death charges.
Today I began reading a book about a woman who survived the fall of the Twin Towers on 9/11. I am only halfway through, but it has been so thought provoking also. I don't know where all of this will lead, but I suppose this might be a week of contemplation, prayer and - yes - thanksgiving. I was challenged by a Bible reading also to not be lukewarm in my faith. Perhaps this will all tie together and become clearer as the week goes on. Perhaps these are just stepping stones in the path of life.

Comments

  1. The Man and I watched that movie a while ago, and it stuck with us both for a few weeks. We've suggested to everyone that they see it at some point. Another one that gripped us was Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about His Father. Grab some Kleenex, prepare to cry, and be moved beyond belief by the story.

    BTW, this is your newest cousin. I've been lurking here for a while not knowing how to break the ice, but now I've done it, so there. Your aunt gave me the link to your blog. The Man and I are LOVING the pictures of the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that movie and can't even begin to list all the emotions I felt. I found it very powerful and disturbing. And it has been a year and it is still with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend