Granola Bars

I mentioned on Facebook all the baking I am doing today (cinnamon rolls, cookies, granola bars, zucchini bread) and have been bombarded with recipe requests. Ok, well maybe not bombarded, but at least a couple of people want the recipe.
In full disclosure I have to mention I got this from another friend at church, who took it from here at the food network
Of course, me being me, I had to tweak it and not follow the instructions exactly. I seem to do that a lot with recipes. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.
So here is the Granola Bar recipe - so good that we don't buy them from the store anymore.
I'm going to post the Original Recipe first and then MY recipe 2nd.

2 cups oatmeal (old fashioned oats)
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2/3 cup honey
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hopped pitted dates
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8x12 baking dish.
Toss oatmeal, almonds and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ.
Reduce oven temp to 300.
Place butter honey brown sugar vanilla and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oat mixture. Add dates, apricots and cranberries. Stir well.
Pour mixture into prepared pan. With wet fingers lightly press the mixture evenly in the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cut while still warm.
 
**

Ok, now here is the way I did it - the directions are basically the same, the ingredients differ.
2 cups oats - quick kind
1 cup of whatever nuts I have on hand - walnuts, mixed, cashews,
1 cup coconut
(I leave out the wheat gem)
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter - found out it is very important to be UNsalted!
2/3 cup honey
(I leave out the brown sugar- too much sweetness)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cranberries (sometimes)
1 cup or so of choc chips or mini m.n.ms (m/ms won't melt, choc chips will)

I find that 20 minutes of baking time is usually enough.

Quick go whip some it! You'll never go back to the store bought.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend