Hobbies

Creating things makes me feel ... useful, productive (no, that's not why I have 5 kids). I once had hobbies. And along with that, I once had time to do these hobbies! Now, I don't have time nor space to do them (those 5 kids again!). Scrapbooking - Creative Memories albums, sigh, are halted at 2008. I long for the room and ability, without grabby little fingers nearby, to start back on my family albums. I used to quilt also. 3 of the kids have their quilts made by me, even my husband has one I did. But I still don't have a place to sew them up, or time to do it.
So I tried to come up with a hobby I could take with me to kids' lessons. Something I can pick up when I have a spare moment; something easy to pack along in a car. Knitting! Back in the day, my mom tried to teach my to crochet. She tried to teach me to sew too, but my stubborn little self didn't want to learn at that time. Yeah, stubborn youngest, quite so. But now... now I wish I had. I am thinking of finding something to teach me how - there's got to be a manual somewhere right? Any ideas out there? Or maybe suggestions for other hobbies that fit the bill?

Comments

  1. Jules - crochet is easy to take a long and perhaps event a bit easier still since the hook is smaller than a pair of knitting needles. A great website to teach you stitches (both basic and more advanced) is nextstich.com. You can also go to You Tube and query up anything about crochet tutorials and there are tons of videos on there. If you have questions, you're more than welcome to email me. I can share quite a bit with you. :) I often take yarn projects along with me because they are so portable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a book on crotcheting that dave gave me that i can let your borrow! i can bring it up at christmas :) it's for beginners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found knitting to be easier than crocheting. Rhonda at church has taught a lot of ladies how--you might ask her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a crafter, I have to add my two bits. Yarn and I have never gotten along, so I can't say I recommend knitting or crocheting, though I was pretty good at needle tatting for a while. Blah.

    There's a method for quilting where you quilt one block at a time, and then just stitch the blocks together. That way you could spend one afternoon making a mess to put the whole thing together. You'd be able to take your quilts with you to work on.

    One of my favorite time-wasters is origami. Paper is cheap, carries well, stores easy, and is super fun for me to do when I just need to sit quietly. If you took a thick magazine with you, you'd even have a hard-ish surface to work on. Some of my modular origami pieces have 12, 16, or even 36 pieces, so they take a LOT of time.

    There's always cross stitching, embroidery, or needlepoint...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for the ideas! I think I will try either crochet or knitting, after the holidays are over. No need to take on another project at this point in the season!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Success!

Get your checkup!

Working on a weekend